Nuffnang Ads

Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Who is your role model?

Related image

It's been awhile.. still there are thoughts lingering in my mind that I realised I should pen it down somewhere. Strangest things yet, I find myself throwing questions which boggles my mind every now and then to find the right answers.

Yesterday, this question hits me; "Who is your role model?". Nope, I did not hear this during church sermons, but instead from that little voice in me when I was driving home. It got me thinking while driving, and I popped this question to my Mum.

Of course, Mum said it was Sacred Heart of Jesus where whenever she was in need of strength and comfort, all she does is to call out upon Him. Which is true for her, makes sense for me.

I popped this question to my cousin, and she told me it was another cousin of ours whom she felt she was capable and independent. Makes sense to me too.

Now I end up wondering, who is my role model instead?

One things for sure, it definitely got to be my Dad (sorry Mum!). I lost my Dad when I was a quarter of a century old. No doubt, I do envy people at times whereby they still have their Dad by their side even when they are at the age of 60s!

Why is my Dad, my role model?

Thinking back, my Dad is a very good man. He may have his flaws but no doubt he gave his best in everything. He doesn't complain even if you throw him into shitty circumstances (he didn't even complain when he's suffering in pain during his final days). He is humble, he is helpful. He is very generous to everyone around him. He helps people within his means of resources.

During my Dad's wake, so many of his friends came by. One by one told me how great my Dad was, and how he helped them. Of course, I was indeed surprised, because even though Dad had helped them so much, he kept it to himself. 

One of the most touching thing I ever heard was, there was this group of Hindu brothers. They knew about my Dad's passing and they came over for the wake. They approached us thanking me and my Mum, because my Dad had actually helped them to raise funds and build the Hindu temple for them. They were so upset knowing my Dad had gone, but all that he done was appreciated greatly by them.

I was indeed touched, not only by the appreciations that was overflowing from friends and family that my Dad helped, but the small little things that my Dad humbly and willingly did for people without any recognition or monetary reasons. He is indeed a great and generous man in my heart.

Of course, I would want to be like my Dad, to help people within my means of resources. To help them willingly without any returns. To be a good person to people regardless of race, religion and gender. I hope that with this, my Dad's legacy will live on. 

Stay happy, be humble. Be blessed.

No comments: